Birdie Lake, at Predator Ridge
photo by Harold Sellers
Click to read a short history of NONC.
NONC Outreach Activities
Over the decades, the North Okanagan Naturalist’s Club has been instrumental in the establishment and maintenance of natural spaces in the area, as well as sharing knowledge about everything natural with the local community.
• The establishment of natural jewels like Kalamalka Lake Provincial Park and the Swan Lake Nature Reserve was made possible in part thanks to the relentless efforts and dedication of several of the members of the NONC.
• Ever since the establishment of the Ecological Reserves in BC, which started in the early 1970’s, several NONC members have been volunteering as wardens for the nearby Ecological Reserves. They are the eyes and ears on the ground, reporting to the Ministry of Environment.
• The James Grant Memorial Fund receives donations for the purpose of acquiring lands at risk such as wetlands, grasslands, etc. The Fund is also used for educational purposes including the annual BC Entomological Award for best paper from a Masters Student. NONC provides an annual award of $500.00 to the society.
• Upon request from school teachers and educators from Immigration Services, several of our NONC members conduct nature classes, bringing the younger generation face to face with all things natural, or showing the new immigrants the fauna and flora of their new country.
• For the past several years, the NONC has been a staunch supporter and contributor towards the study and conservation of the rattlesnake populations in our area.
If any of these activities interest you, contact NONC.
NONC members participate in a number of events and activities throughout the year. Here are a few of them:
Christmas Bird Count for the North Okanagan, held the Sunday before Christmas
Contact Don Cecile, Coordinator, dcecile at shaw dot ca
CLICK for an Excel spreadsheet documenting 73 years (1950-2022) of Christmas Bird Count results for the Vernon area.
Swan & Eagle Count, North Okanagan, held in early January. Past years' results .
Contact Rod Drennan & Norbert Maertens
Great Canadian Birdathon, held in May
Contact Harold Sellers
Great Backyard Bird Count, held in February
Google for details
Swan Lake Nature Reserve Park, stewardship and restoration projects
Contact the club
Contact any coordinator by e-mailing
Participants are always welcome